Thursday 18 February 2016

My Valentine's Day Gift


Love must be celebrated ! I decorate the window and didn't really expect anything .....but
 my dear one surprised me with this antique embroidery thread wrap .


I,m suffering with flu at the moment and not up to doing any stitching , so I thought I would share with you this lovely thing .


                                  It is hand embroidered possibly silk , but I,m not sure .






                  Inside there is a tool for pulling the threads through the long slots .


It is stamped with the word CREWEL ....which means that it was meant to hold very fine embroidery wool threads  .
   

On unrolling the wrap I find it filled with modern ,embroidery cotton threads.....


 ....and a huge tangled ball of saved used bits ...outrageous ! But with sniffly nose and a big box of tissues ,I set to unravelling  and reorganising  .


It is quite a therapeutic thing to do and calming ,  wondering what they were used for and thinking about what I might use them for .


             Colours of the Cornish Sea when the sun shines through the waves .....


                                A Bumble Bee ...Cornish colours  black and gold .


                                           Mermaids playing in the waves ....


More tea ......... more Lemsips ......more tissues.....lie down ....headache..earaches .sore throat...cant stop coughing  ..groan : (


                                         Mrs Stork is happy in her new nest !


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift, and fun to re-organise it too. Look after that cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hallo Sylvia, yes it was .Wow loving your rug hooking...that is something I have waiting in the wings ! Every time I go to start it , I find I need something else first , hooking tool , hessian ...then all the cloth .....then Scissors ...then a machine that cuts the strips for you ....etc etc etc lol !

      Delete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting, your antique wrap looks very much like the one my friend Rosemari inherited from her grandmother. I love getting vintage pieces and thinking about who may have used them. I love your cottage stitching as well.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

Seraphim - green and gold ...maybe