Monday 21 August 2017

Medieval Stars and Flags , Crewel wool , Gold threads or Beads .


Making good progress with my medieval cog ship , but have some decisions to make .


         I will come back to the waves , as I have been moved to embroider the stars .


 The stars on the seal look like little flowers , so to make them a little bit more star like , I was thinking of putting french knots in the centre .


                                           Maybe heraldic gold crewel wool ...


                                Maybe gold thread .....to give a little sparkle ?


Maybe silver thread would be better ?..maybe a little bit of silver glinting in the waves ?


                                             .... and what about the flags ?
                                      Should I do the flag on the Seal of Stralsund ?
                              Should I just keep it a neutral and just pick a colour ?


                                    ...  or do the Cornish Flag of St Piran ?
                                                   That would be fun !
                                                            BUT
         It didn't come into use until 1838..so that wouldn't be quite right ....sadly .


                                      The flag of St George would be o.k .
                   That was in use on ships at this time in medieval history , around 1340.


 Shall I stitch on tiny pearls or little shells ? Ho... hmmm ...that would make it begin to look too Elizabethan maybe ?


                            I spent a very relaxing hour playing with my beads ....


                              ....and looking through my box of goldwork threads .
                                                   I just cant decide !

2 comments:

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

Seraphim - green and gold ...maybe